Select your language

Engine rebuild with no former experience........

More
5 years 7 months ago #269018 by Chromix
God, you have worms in your ignition module! Probably the highly dangerous copper worms. I would recommend a treatment with hexavalent chrome .....

Regards,
Lutz

Nimm Dir jeden Tag die Zeit, still zu sitzen und auf die Dinge zu lauschen.
Achte auf die Melodie des Lebens, die in Dir schwingt.
Buddha
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #269095 by Racediagnostics
I was able to remove the windscreen wiper motor via the glove box in the end. Easier than expected. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

 

Then onto remove the bulkhead insulation, not such an easy job. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

 

It is a bit of a mess, I can't see myself reusing it, I will price up a new one tomorrow morning. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



 There are couple of areas of rust, but not too bad. I will clean them up tomorrow but don't think I'll need to do any welding. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



 Getting close to be able to paint. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chromix, coralle, mike 560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269207 by Racediagnostics
Didn't get into the garage today, but went to the Mercedes dealer to pick up a few new parts and order a new bulkhead heat shield, £170 for a sheet of bitumen. :o

Throttle bulkhead gasket.
Offset woodruff keys which are now redundant.
10.9 strength bolts for the harmonic balancer.
Special lock nut for the steering box adjuster.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Then I got dragged into the garden to do some pruning, once the green bin was full there was no alternative to getting a fire going.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Then a few drinks as a reward, cheers!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, Drachenlord, mike 560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269211 by Racediagnostics
Here is a question, can I remove the four main front subframe nuts and bolts with the car sitting on its wheels, without anything falling off / collapsing? I plan to do a bit more plating this weekend and would be handy to do them at the same time.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269412 by Racediagnostics
I've been plating for the last couple of days, it's like waiting for a kettle to boil, then another one, then another one........

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The subframe bolts came out no problem.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Looking better now.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269413 by gelberbenz
Hallo
Du galvanierst selber ???
Grüsse Werni

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269415 by Racediagnostics
Yes, these are some of the parts in the plating tank.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: gelberbenz, hhermanski, mike 560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269419 by T-Modell

Racediagnostics wrote:  it's like waiting for a kettle to boil, .......
 

Hi Jim,
I think the better expression would be "it's like watching paint dry" in a more literal sense. Amazing, what you do. And all this on a lonely island without permanent supplies ;-) ... hats off!

Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #269475 by Racediagnostics
Next, back into the garage!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This area is the biggest concern.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The tools.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This looks bad, I wish I had a better understanding of how this fits together.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



It was easier to strip most of the paint rather than just try to remove the old contact adhesive.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Ready to remove the bonnet.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Kim is very tolerant!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I think I will cut out the spot welds and peel back the "tabs" and then cut out the corroded area.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hhermanski, MartinG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269478 by wusel-53
Jim, my Wife would kill me 

Viele Grüße

Thorsten

Man lernt nie aus
380SL (US-Version, Bj.84), Eura-Wohnmobil und ein ebike :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RDele

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269481 by Thomas2509
Thorsten, why? The flowers are on the table and I suppose they ar from Jim:-)

Es grüßt herzlich
Thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269482 by mike 560
Hallo Jim

youre wife is a dream,respect.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269511 by Racediagnostics
I have this old picture showing the inside of the box section showing the flange in the top left area.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Just beyond the inner wing.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



So went ahead and cut out this section.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I decided not to disturb the tab from the chassis rail and instead build up this area with weld supporting with a copper pad.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Paper template.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I used 2mm steel for the repair.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Cut and shaped.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Fine tuned.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Welded in.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269512 by Racediagnostics
Tidied up.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The box section treated with Dinitrol ML.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, Chromix, mike 560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #269638 by Racediagnostics
This morning I removed the anti roll bar to give better access for painting, ideally I would remove the subframe too but I want to be able to roll the car back out of the garage a bit for painting so I will just mask it up.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Next I decided to install riv-nuts for the ignition ECU mounting bracket, better than trying to reach round to fit nuts.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Finally a job I think I've been putting off for a while, cleaning the engine bay. Degreaser first, then I'll sand it to give a key and then clean again with thinners. Boring and will take a couple of days to complete as there is lots of baked on grease.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This section above the radiator looks like its never been cleaned in the last 42 years.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



That looks better.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Probably no update tomorrow as it will just be more of the same.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, markus1971, RDele, Chromix, mike 560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #269829 by Racediagnostics
After a couple of days of preparation the engine bay is ready for paint. I will use an epoxy primer then basecoat and clear.

A few new supplies I had to purchase today, unfortunately I had no masking paper or film left, these will last me a lifetime.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The car was originally Magnetite blue but when I first started respraying it back in 2016 the colour spectrometer matched up Lada Sapphire blue as a closer match, so I have stuck with that since.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The bad news is that the weather forecast is cold (less than 10degC) for the next two weeks, so the painting will have to go on hold.

In the meantime I will push ahead mounting the transmission to the engine but as I don't want to leave the engine hanging on the crane or resting on the oil sump, I will need to make a frame so it can sit on the engine and transmission mounting points.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #270051 by Racediagnostics
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe alternator connector has never had a cover and now also has this insulation problem.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I was able to buy a cheap generic connector on ebay.



A new wire spliced in and the new connector fitted.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I then started to weld up a frame to support the engine, it was going well...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



...... until the welder started to fail.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



It then completely died.

A quick poke around inside revealed nothing, so I left it for 10 minutes and it burst back into life, I think a thermal cut-out out had triggered.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I'll finish the job tomorrow and move the engine off the stand and onto my new support.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, mike 560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #270069 by Chromix
Hi Jim,

I believe your welder wants a cleaning!
The dust makes cooling less effective and, depending on its character, could also have an impact on the connectors and/or the functionality of the PCB.

Regards,
Lutz

Nimm Dir jeden Tag die Zeit, still zu sitzen und auf die Dinge zu lauschen.
Achte auf die Melodie des Lebens, die in Dir schwingt.
Buddha
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #270133 by Racediagnostics
The first job today was to flip the engine and fit the feet at the rear of the block.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Next I removed the restored pan from the transmission and replaced it with the one from the old trans. I will refit the new one once it is back in the engine to avoid the paint being scratched.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Transferring the engine from the stand to the crane. Lots of parts removed first, they will be refitted once the engine is back in the car.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



My dolly could do with being a bit wider, so I welded the two supports together.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The block supported at the back with timber.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Next the rear cover, treated with hylomar and grease packed into the seal to stop its internal spring from falling out when fitting.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This part which is bolted to the intermediate cover seems to be there just to collect oil leaks from the rear of the engine.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, mike 560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #270135 by Racediagnostics
Intermediate flange fitted.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Finally the flex plate fitted.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Ready for the transmission tomorrow.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: markus1971, hhermanski, mike 560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Ragetti, Obelix116
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies and confim our data privacy policy.
CookieHint and Consent by reDim GmbH (Opens in a new window)