Select your language

Engine rebuild with no former experience........

More
5 years 8 months ago #266791 by Chromix
Hi Jim,

Gullydeckel-Martin, who once ordered the hoses for us, recommended using brake cleaner before pushing on the hoses. Makes it easy to get them on but has no lubricating substances that could weaken the stability of the connection.

Regards,
Lutz

Nimm Dir jeden Tag die Zeit, still zu sitzen und auf die Dinge zu lauschen.
Achte auf die Melodie des Lebens, die in Dir schwingt.
Buddha
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #266814 by Racediagnostics
Thanks guys, I tried that technique and it worked.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #266818 by KalliSL
I admire what you are doing, wouldn`t have 10% of your energy and your skills !

Kalli

Gruss aus Bruchsal

Kalli
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #266896 by Racediagnostics
Skills can easily be learned, I had never worked on a car before I bought this one. Time cannot easily be bought though, and this hobby is very time consuming. I am very thankful for early retirement.

Killing time this morning before heading to the machine shop to pick up the CAMs.

Starter motor and solenoid bolted back together.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Need to sort out a couple of new screws there.:ashamed:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The full engine rebuild gasket set wasn't as full as it could have been, so cut out a couple of new gaskets.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Oil pump damper back together.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Then off to pick up the CAMs. The left CAM perfectly on the target size. And rotates perfectly with all the cam towers bolted down.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The right CAM is not so good news, it has had the leftmost two journals ground (1 and 2). The far left is perfectly on size at 49.275 but the next one in is oversize at 49.28, however even with that there should still be a bit of clearance if everything was concentric. When I tighten down tower 2 (with the others already tightened down) the CAM shaft binds up (worked it out through a process of elimination). It's no big deal and I am sure the machine shop will be able to sort it out, but they are now closed till next Monday so I will have a bit of a delay.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, PanTau, RDele

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #266968 by Racediagnostics
All's well that ends well.

We can assume that new set of bearings from Mercedes will be concentric.

We can also assume that there may/will not be concentricity between two different sets, regardless of whether they are the standard size or undersize. This can be deduced from the fact that Mercedes will only sell a full set.

So mixed sets will have the chance of not being concentric.

When fitting a new undersize bearing set, you must grind all the journals at the same time on the same set up to ensure concentricity.

If you only grind one or two you are guaranteed to have some amount of non concentricity between the journals.

What happened to me was very unlucky, I ordered (from ebay) what I thought were 3 good standard size bearings that turned out to be undersized, non concentricity factor 1.

As a consequence I needed to grind 3 journals on the CAMs, non concentricity factor 2.

The only machine shop I could find that was open (covid) was one I said I would never use again, non concentricity factor 3 as well as grinding one of the journals over size.

From that it is clear that I would be very lucky to have no issue with binding, and I'm not that lucky, so this is what I did today.

Blue up the bearing.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Bolt it down.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Give the CAM a half twist and review.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Then use my contraption with 400 grit emery and a scotch pad applying pressure where needed (yes I know I lots of people will say DONT USE A SCOTCH PAD!) to get rid of the binding spot. It took 5 iterations to get the CAM to rotate smoothly. The bearing was cleaned each time till there were no traces of sanding material.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



All done, almost.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Once that was complete I also did a bit of work on the other two bearings with the blue to ensure they were also running perfectly.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chromix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #266989 by Chromix
Jim the researcher!
Through the scotch pad method you probably took off material not only from the binding spot but everywhere, right?
How can you now know how good the result is (overall tolerance and overall concentricity)?

Regards,
Lutz

Nimm Dir jeden Tag die Zeit, still zu sitzen und auf die Dinge zu lauschen.
Achte auf die Melodie des Lebens, die in Dir schwingt.
Buddha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #266994 by Racediagnostics
Hi Lutz,

No, the bearing tower was not tight on the scotch pad and mandrel, so it was easy to provide force to any quadrant needed to focus on the problem area.

With the bearing in the pictures above I started off with a clearance of 0.02mm which was one of the problems, the minimum should be 0.025mm.

The clearance specification is actually quite wide, 0.025mm to 0.057mm, so removing ~0.015mm of material still leaves me well within the tolerance.

Also, once the engine is running the aluminium bearing expands at twice the rate of the steel CAM shaft, so I have no worries about normal hot running.

I do not have perfect concentricity, but I am not worried about this.

To do this job properly ideally you would buy two new CAMs, two new bearing sets, 16 lifters and ?? shims, ~ £2500, my fix cost £160. Undersize bearing sets are no longer available from Mercedes unfortunately.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chromix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267002 by Dieseldok
Hello Jim,

I would be not to concerned about your "rework"

If you are with tolerance limits and the cam is turning freely in the bearings/ towers everything seems to be aligned good enough.

Just would check if the cam is turning freely in the towers before assembly.
During/ after engine recommissioning listen for any abnormal noise and take the valve cover off and take a quick temperature check of camshaft and bearings/ tower just to check for high temp i.e. friction.

Just make sure the surface of the bearings is free from any scotch pad residues.......your engine would not like this material in the oil circuit.

We scraped bearings on large two stroke cross head marine diesel engines.
When I did this the 1st time I was a little hesitant.......but with advice from my Chief Engineer this worked our very well.
Just need to know what you are doing.

Kind regards

JP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267045 by Racediagnostics
All the new bolts organised for the rebuild.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I was surprised to see that the pistons sit proud of the block at TDC, given there is no recess in the head, that's cutting it close with the thickness of the head gasket, the spec says 0.75mm max projection.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Head ready to go on.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Head in place.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Various brackets and starter motor heat shield held on with head bolts.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Out for a Covid lockdown walk.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



New chain guides and sprocket, with head torqued down, the CAM shaft still rotates smoothly!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Other head sat in place, initially I thought "great, the chain meets up as expected", more on that later.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Next a quick check on the timing marks at TDC, left head (from the front of the engine), good.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Right head, good.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267046 by Racediagnostics
Looks like the timing spike on the aftermarket water pump is a bit off, as I know the engine is perfectly at TDC.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



So the problem is, the chain is too tight or too short, this is the post on the chain tensioner rail, it should be recessed in the head about 1 or 2 cm. Now I have still to torque down the head but I cant see that giving much more slack! Confused.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



The chain is a Febi which should have 198 links which is correct, but I didn't count them.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I'll need to get an endoscope in there tomorrow to work out what is going on.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267109 by Racediagnostics
A frustrating day!

This morning I rotated the engine and pulled the chain all the way through, no snags, pile ups or problems, just went straight through, so there was no issue with the way the chain was threaded trough all the sprockets.

With the chain linked, there is no way the tensioner will bolt on.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I then connected and pulled through the old chain.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



It was the same as the new chain, it linked up as long as the tensioner rail was in the wrong position.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



So there was no choice, slacken off the heads and remove the timing cover and the upper chain guides. I put the tensioner in place, with the chain pulled tight, you can see that it is still one link too short.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Tensioner peg pushing against the tensioner rail peg.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Next I measured and compared the new sprockets with the old, they were close to identical, I quick comparison of the lower chain guides came up with nothing obvious.

Tomorrow I'll start swapping back in the old parts till I find the problem.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: markus1971, gelberbenz, Seewolf107, ZitroniX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267124 by Chromix
Hi Jim,

can't the chain tensioner be pushed in further? I remember when I changed the guides I was instructed to use longer screws on the tensioner first because I wouldn't be able to push it in by hand.
Unfortunately I don't remember if the peg was protruding as far as yours.

Regards,
Lutz

Nimm Dir jeden Tag die Zeit, still zu sitzen und auf die Dinge zu lauschen.
Achte auf die Melodie des Lebens, die in Dir schwingt.
Buddha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267137 by Racediagnostics
I think because of all the new items, the rail peg protrudes further than it did before.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267164 by Racediagnostics
Back on track, heads bolted down and a couple of ancillaries bolted on.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Inlet manifold just sat there for the picture, needs to be bolted to the lower manifold first.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Will get the oil pump and sump on tomorrow +++.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, PanTau

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #267266 by Racediagnostics
Engine flipped over.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Oil pump and its chain tensioner.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Then the sump.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Throttle body and lower manifold.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Upper and lower intake manifolds bolted together.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



There are lots of parts to be bolted on.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Progress.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



More progress.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



Done for the day.

Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, gelberbenz, TraveSL, Chromix, Yngve, smart560, MartinG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267270 by KalliSL
Great work - I admire you skills !

Where do you live ? In not Corona times I am usually once a year in Bracknell......

Kalli

Gruss aus Bruchsal

Kalli
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #267273 by Racediagnostics
Hi Kalli, not too close to Bracknell, I live just outside of Edinburgh. When I was still working I spent quite a bit of time in Germany, many visits to here.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Cheers
Jim

1979 450SL - 2008 911 Turbo
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Racediagnostics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267274 by markus1971
Hello Jim,

the engine looks great with all the cleaned and new plated parts. I am a little bit confused, what was the solution of the problem you have had with the chain tensioner? As suspected from Lutz that the chain tensioner could be pushed in further ?

regards Markus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267282 by T-Modell

Racediagnostics wrote: ...I live just outside of Edinburgh....


 

That's good ... then we can welcome you back on the continent soon ... hats off to your work, looks great! Probably you will get the certificate "best looking M117 on the forum"
Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: KalliSL, Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #267302 by Thomas2509
Sindelfingen. My place of birth 
Impressive work that you show us. Thanks that we can take part of it.

 

Es grüßt herzlich
Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Ragetti, Obelix116
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

We use cookies

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies and confim our data privacy policy.
CookieHint and Consent by reDim GmbH (Opens in a new window)