722.001 transmission pump "O" ring seal replacement

• Racediagnostics
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • UK spec
More
14 Oct 2020 17:07 #260032 by Racediagnostics
I plan to replace the pump "o" ring as well as the front and rear main seal on my transmission this winter, has anyone tried this or have a "how to"?

Cheers
Jim

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1979 450SL - 2002 XK8 4.2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2020 17:27 #260033 by Rudiger
Hello Jim, our member wusel-53 -Thorsten- did this last month. he had his fair share of trouble, related to torque converter. Here is the link.
sternzeit-107.de/de/forum/forum-107/2408...be-us-380-sl?start=0

Rudiger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racediagnostics

More
14 Oct 2020 18:45 #260049 by Gullydeckel
Replied by Gullydeckel on topic 722.001 transmission pump "O" ring seal replacement
Hi Jim,

does your car has 3-gear or a 4-gear transmission? If it’s equipped with a 722.x-version please renew the 4 friction disks for the reverse-clutch as well.
I can highly recommend to pay attention during the of the removal old of the old paper gasket. Don’t allow any debris or small particles to enter the oil channels in the transmission mainframe!!!
A very good Overview to the 722.x you can get by browsing this PDF
up.picr.de/27948585jo.pdf
To change the O-ring you have to disassemble the main oil pump, re-installing the big piston needs a bit attention and a plan how to get the piston together with its seal back in place, but thats no rocket-science, only a bit tricky.
A major hint before you really start is to loosen the nut at the driveshaft (in most cases you need a "long socket" 32mm) when the transmission is still in place in the car. So you don’t need to hold anything. Just shift to “P” and untighten it. The same procedure for tighten this nut: Do it when you have reinstalled the tranny.
At last you need to pay attention when fitting the torque converter to the transmission. I would highly recommend to do this with the tranny in upright position, otherwise you can end up like Thorsten with 2 destroyed oil pumps.

Cheers Martin

PS: You can also check out Youtube and of course our Werkstattbereich

Ich bin jetzt in dem Alter wo ich meine Fehler zugeben könnte - wenn ich welche hätte

• Racediagnostics
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • UK spec
More
14 Oct 2020 21:12 - 14 Oct 2020 21:20 #260067 by Racediagnostics
Replied by Racediagnostics on topic 722.001 transmission pump "O" ring seal replacement
Hi Rudiger, I just read the other thread, wow, Thorsten had some bad luck there.

Hi Martin, thanks for the suggestions, I am not sure I have the confidence to dig deep into the transmission. Lets see how the engine rebuild goes first, then I will see if it is summer again or only spring.

The gearbox is a 3 speed (W3B-050). It had a small oil leak from the bell housing last year, which has stopped after adding some "snake oil". I am not sure if the leak was from the front seal or pump O ring so planned to change both.

The rear nut looks the same as the one on the differential pinion, so should have the socket.

Cheers
Jim

Last edit: 14 Oct 2020 21:20 by Racediagnostics.

• Racediagnostics
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • UK spec
More
14 Oct 2020 21:44 #260071 by Racediagnostics
Replied by Racediagnostics on topic 722.001 transmission pump "O" ring seal replacement
It looks like the three speed is a bit different to the four speed, the pump it attached to the bell housing which can be unbolted to change the O ring.

Three speed, I also read that the transmission repair manual is not available in English which is a pity.

Four speed.

Cheers
Jim

• Racediagnostics
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • UK spec
More
14 Oct 2020 21:59 #260073 by Racediagnostics
I also found this parts breakdown for the the earlier transmissions.

jpat.co.uk/uploads/1/0/3/5/103549764/58__mercedes_1a_722.pdf

Cheers
Jim

More
14 Oct 2020 22:16 #260074 by Rudiger
Jim, did you check for the teardown bemzworld?
Rudiger

• Racediagnostics
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • UK spec
More
14 Oct 2020 23:19 #260077 by Racediagnostics
Just found a full how to there, it covers the seals and o ring on page 5.

www.benzworld.org/threads/w107-transmiss...mmies.2958890/page-5

Cheers
Jim

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gullydeckel, Rudiger

More
15 Oct 2020 07:25 #260084 by Gullydeckel
Replied by Gullydeckel on topic 722.001 transmission pump "O" ring seal replacement
Wow!

You found a treasure, thanks for this link. To avoid bad luck regarding to mounting of the torque converter, see this pic
www.benzworld.org/threads/w107-transmiss...ead-2958890&slide=42

Cheers Martin

Ich bin jetzt in dem Alter wo ich meine Fehler zugeben könnte - wenn ich welche hätte

More
15 Oct 2020 07:50 #260085 by wusel-53
Hi Jim,

Repairing the transmission is not a problem. You only have to be really careful with the torque converter. And if you already open the gearbox, I would replace all wear parts and seals. That is not expensive. I paid € 530 for the parts

Viele Grüße

Thorsten

Man lernt nie aus
380SL (US-Version, Bj.84), Eura-Wohnmobil und ein ebike :-)

• Racediagnostics
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • UK spec
More
15 Oct 2020 10:59 #260102 by Racediagnostics
Thanks for the encouragement, if all goes well with the engine and I can find a service manual I will have a go with it. Luckily I do have a spare 722.001 transmission that was working fine when I removed it ten years ago.

It is incredible how the value of spare parts has changed over the last ten years. I sold all of this for scrap value, £50 except for the transmission which I kept.

This "running" entire engine and transmission (with a guarantee) only cost me £350 back then. Now you can't get a second hand block for that price!

Cheers
Jim

More
15 Oct 2020 13:26 #260112 by wusel-53
Hi Jim,
if you are able to completely overhaul an engine, you can do the same with an automatic transmission. But the workshop manual is of course important. In Germany there is the workshop CD (WIS-CD, including Transmission), is there also something in English? In the 107 workshop manual in Sternzeit-107, of all things, the Transmission part is not included.

Please excuse my bad English. Is for household an holliday use only ;)

Viele Grüße

Thorsten

Man lernt nie aus
380SL (US-Version, Bj.84), Eura-Wohnmobil und ein ebike :-)

• Racediagnostics
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • UK spec
More
15 Oct 2020 17:02 #260130 by Racediagnostics
For some reason the transmission manual is missing from workshop area on Sternzeit-107, it is also missing from the English manual CD I have. I think it may not exist in English. If I can find one in German I will use OCR and then Google to translate to English.

Cheers
Jim

The following user(s) said Thank You: wusel-53

Moderators: RagettiObelix116
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds