Select your language

valve seals

• stylesmerc
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2018 19:17 #185184 by stylesmerc
valve seals was created by stylesmerc
hi i have a 1975 mercedes 450sl
is there a way i can change the Valve Stem Seals because the car smokes (white somke) when starting
i seen people use air compression but i'm worried that i might drop a valve in to the engine
i know that i'm going need to change the lifters/rockers and camshaft because of the nocking or clicking its making
my car has done just under 140,000 miles i need a quick and easy salutation any ideas help to solve this i welcome
styles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2018 20:06 #185190 by Dr-DJet
Replied by Dr-DJet on topic valve seals
Hi,

yes you need compressed air to keep vavles up. If you let them rest on pistion crown you risk that they will be bent.

Viele Schraubergrüße - best regards, Volker, Admin und Betreiber dieser Webseite
Fast alles zu Zündung und Jetronic auf jetronic.org

Jubiläum 10 Jahre Jetronic.org mit Besuch bei Bosch Classic Jetronic Instandhaltung in Nürnberg am 18.10.24

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
23 May 2018 21:03 #185199 by Gullydeckel
Replied by Gullydeckel on topic valve seals
Hi Styles,

white smoke may come from a bad cylinderhead-gasket. Blue smoke e.g. after ideling at a traffic-light would more fit to worn seals.
You worry about dropping the valves – but that won’t be a problem. But to release the keepers after decades could be a patience proofing job. Just check youtube for inspiration:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFmC66YU6zI
As Volker wrote – don’t place the piston in TDC during trying to release the keepers! You can buy a good toolingset at ebay that will help you to handle the springs and take off the old seals. Don’t try this without the special gripper! This guy here is using this set and tried all ways - find out what ist the best for you.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfPQOU8zRVw

Best regards Martin

Ich bin jetzt in dem Alter wo ich meine Fehler zugeben könnte - wenn ich welche hätte

More
23 May 2018 21:51 #185207 by Dr-DJet
Replied by Dr-DJet on topic valve seals
Hi Martin,

that 2nd video is of a very rough nature. Inserting rope to block the valves form falling down and then hammering on the spring keepers. At least last technique I would not really try on my cars.

Viele Schraubergrüße - best regards, Volker, Admin und Betreiber dieser Webseite
Fast alles zu Zündung und Jetronic auf jetronic.org

Jubiläum 10 Jahre Jetronic.org mit Besuch bei Bosch Classic Jetronic Instandhaltung in Nürnberg am 18.10.24

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

• stylesmerc
  • Topic Author
More
25 May 2018 14:27 #185356 by stylesmerc
Replied by stylesmerc on topic valve seals
thanks martin i will , i'll do a bit more research before i do anything
all the best mem

Moderators: RagettiObelix116
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds