- Posts: 89
- Thank you received: 1
-88 560SL timing chain tension
1 year 6 months ago #342927
by Erik1
-88 560SL timing chain tension was created by Erik1
Hi all fellow SL people,
I have a question about timing chain tension and timing issues.
I have problems with fine tuning the distributor. Engine is running okay, but can be even better. If the timing chain is stretched, It could might cause the timing to be inaccurate.
I took off one of the valve covers, to check the timing chain tension. I tried to pull the chain next to the camshaft sprocket, an it seemed to be pretty tight. When chain laying on the chain guide, I managed to pull it approx 3mm from the guide. See pictures.
Is this within the limits? The engine was running 30 min before, so the hydraulic tensioner should be loaded.
Thanks.
Rgds Erik
I have a question about timing chain tension and timing issues.
I have problems with fine tuning the distributor. Engine is running okay, but can be even better. If the timing chain is stretched, It could might cause the timing to be inaccurate.
I took off one of the valve covers, to check the timing chain tension. I tried to pull the chain next to the camshaft sprocket, an it seemed to be pretty tight. When chain laying on the chain guide, I managed to pull it approx 3mm from the guide. See pictures.
Is this within the limits? The engine was running 30 min before, so the hydraulic tensioner should be loaded.
Thanks.
Rgds Erik
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
1 year 6 months ago #342929
by Chromix
Nimm Dir jeden Tag die Zeit, still zu sitzen und auf die Dinge zu lauschen.
Achte auf die Melodie des Lebens, die in Dir schwingt.
Buddha
Replied by Chromix on topic -88 560SL timing chain tension
Hi Erik,
you still won't know if the timing chain has stretched or the tensioner is weak. I would check first if and how much the timing marks on the camshafts are off.
Cheers,
Lutz
you still won't know if the timing chain has stretched or the tensioner is weak. I would check first if and how much the timing marks on the camshafts are off.
Cheers,
Lutz
Nimm Dir jeden Tag die Zeit, still zu sitzen und auf die Dinge zu lauschen.
Achte auf die Melodie des Lebens, die in Dir schwingt.
Buddha
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
1 year 6 months ago #342930
by Erik1
Replied by Erik1 on topic -88 560SL timing chain tension
Hi Lutz,
good point. Will check the timing marks.
Thanks.
Rgds Erik
good point. Will check the timing marks.
Thanks.
Rgds Erik
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
1 year 6 months ago #342958
by ZitroniX
Früher war alles gut, heute ist alles besser.
Besser wär es, wenn alles wieder gut wär.
R107 SL 380 (US) Bj 83,
silberblaumetallic 930
Gruss Andreas
Replied by ZitroniX on topic -88 560SL timing chain tension
Read in SL pedia how it works..
It is in english
It is in english
Früher war alles gut, heute ist alles besser.
Besser wär es, wenn alles wieder gut wär.
R107 SL 380 (US) Bj 83,
silberblaumetallic 930
Gruss Andreas
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds