Select your language

Burning distrbutor rotor

• MyrosII
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2017 12:15 #164764 by MyrosII
Replied by MyrosII on topic Burning distrbutor rotor
Morning freunde,

I now have all the parts, coil, HT leads, vacuum rubbers, and ballast resistor, ( although I now think my car doesn;t have one).

I will start with the coil, and see if that fixes the rough running. Only time will tell if it fixes the rotor burn out. I will measure the resistances and comapre to the old coil.

then I will change the HT leads, and then the vacuum connectors and piping.

If tha doesn't fix it, ....help.

here are some pictures of the new chain and sprockets showing everything spot on at OTP no1 cylinder.

Myros

500SL GB

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MyrosII
  • Topic Author
More
20 May 2017 20:51 #165155 by MyrosII
Hallo SL-freunde. Lots of good news this week. My new coil, ballast resistor (not needed, does anyone here need a new Bosch 0.6 ohm ballast?), and new HT leads arrived. MB also got my rubber elbows and other connectors for the vacuum system. I replaced the coil, the new one has the big resistance of 9.41 k ohms, which is a lot higher than the old one. I checked all the vacuum connections, and found a big one halfway up the inlet manifold was off its pipe. It must have been blown off when the engine backfired through the manifold. I reconnected it,put the filter back on, and started the motor. It fired first turn of the key, as smooth as a glashutte watch. Much smoother than before the chain job, and before was pretty good. I went for a 30km drive, absolutely no hiccups , smooth as silk.
I will hook up my strobe light and do a dynamic timing, but for now, lets hope the new coil has fixed the burning rotor. I tried to work it out logically, and only the coil an produce overvoltage. couple that with less than perfect Beru ( compared with Bosch) rotors, and that could be the problem. Time will tell.

Myros

500SL GB

More
21 May 2017 10:48 #165172 by Dr-DJet
Replied by Dr-DJet on topic Burning distrbutor rotor
Hi Myros,

Ed from Wheelers Dealers would now say "Job done". And indeed it is well done.

Viele Schraubergrüße - best regards, Volker, Admin und Betreiber dieser Webseite
Fast alles zu Zündung und Jetronic auf jetronic.org

Workshop Hzg/Klima 13.4 (ER), D-Jetronic 8.6. (F) & 20.7. (ER), K-Jetronic 29.6. (ER) & 31.8. (F)

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MyrosII

• MyrosII
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2017 11:56 #165637 by MyrosII
Morgen freunde,

on Friday i had a 250 mile ( 400km) trip on the motorway, at proper germanic speeds. 4 hours travel time, average speed 100km/h ( don't forget there was about 15 miles of city driving in there and lots of traffic getting in the way on the faster roads0 No hiccups, lovely response from the engine, and 25mpg as well, in the 28 deg Celsius heat, with the windows down ( I haven't had chance to get the hardtop off yet). thats about 10.75l/100km in German. I am a happy bunny. I have had better consumption, but only because of speed limited to 80km/h motorways.

Myros

500SL GB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr-DJet

More
30 May 2017 15:24 #165645 by Dr-DJet
Hi Myros,

great, wheather was lovely then. And good to hear your feedback!

Viele Schraubergrüße - best regards, Volker, Admin und Betreiber dieser Webseite

Workshop Hzg/Klima 13.4 (ER), D-Jetronic 8.6. (F) & 20.7. (ER), K-Jetronic 29.6. (ER) & 31.8. (F)

The following user(s) said Thank You: MyrosII

• MyrosII
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2017 16:58 #165654 by MyrosII
Dr Volker, it was my pleasure. andmy thanks to everyone else who pitched in with advice and sympathy. Attached is a picture of my reassembled after timing chain and tensioners engine,
if anyone is interested. It took a little finessing to chase out the very small leaks from the coolant hoses, they just needed positioning square and tightening up well, very well, which is easy to do with t-bolt hose clamps. It is also easy to think you have tightened enough, when there is still a long way to go...

Myros

500SL GB

This message has an attachment image.

More
30 May 2017 19:18 #165659 by Dr-DJet
Hi Myros,

I would say: "You must be with the fireguards" ;)

Moderators: RagettiObelix116
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds