× [Welcome to / willkommen in Sternzeit-107
Hier könnt Ihr Euch und Eure 107er Schätzchen vorstellen - Here you can introduce yourself and your 107 treasures.

350SLC owner from Australia G'day!

• tony66au
  • Autor
  • 350 SLC 107.023 1973
  • Australien
Mehr
07 Nov 2018 13:17 - 07 Nov 2018 13:19 #196958 von tony66au
350SLC owner from Australia G'day! wurde erstellt von tony66au
Hi all,
Im Tony and I thought id add a little about myself.

I live in Country Victoria, Australia.
Im an Aussie of Dutch parents in my 50's
My first Mercedes was a 1990 W126 300SEL
After that I owned numerous Volvo's and I still own a handful including a few 740's, a V40T, a few 850's and an S90 Royal.
As well as the Volvo's I have collected numerous Mercedes and this is where my heart remains.
I currently own a D Jetronic W116 450SEL, 350SE.
I also have a K jet 450SE, a W116 280S
But the reason I am here is a present I bought for my Wife being a 1973 C107 350SLC.
The D jetronic system is something I am familiar with but the Body and suspension of the 107 is totally new to me and as I am restoring the old girl (The Car, not my wife) as close to a state of mechanical perfection as I can I came here.
Luckily the SLC has been Garaged most of its life so the firewalls and plenum are in great condition, The rest of the body needs attention and restoration to its original glory and this is where I will be seeking information.
I am fine with the Mechanical, Electrics etc having spent hundreds of hours on the other 2 D jet cars, I can weld well enough and work with sheet metal comfortably but its the rest that is all new to me.
Thank you for letting me join this group and I have added a few photos from when i bought the car.
Cheers,
Tony
Anhänge:
Letzte Änderung: 07 Nov 2018 13:19 von tony66au. Begründung: Too many photos

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• Rudiger
  • Abwesend
  • 560 SL 107.048 1988
  • Americas (USA/CAN)
Mehr
07 Nov 2018 13:22 #196959 von Rudiger
Rudiger antwortete auf 350SLC owner from Australia G'day!
Hello Tony, welcome to the Forum, nice ride.
Rudiger

• tony66au
  • Autor
  • 350 SLC 107.023 1973
  • Australien
Mehr
07 Nov 2018 13:28 - 07 Nov 2018 13:33 #196960 von tony66au
tony66au antwortete auf 350SLC owner from Australia G'day!
The car looked passable in the Photos from the seller and closer inspection in person told me that the car needed work but I am happy with what needed doing so I bought the car and had her delivered.
The basic issues as I saw it where that it had a really bad paint job, redone at some point in 2k and in a Ford Colour.
The Wheels where terrible and cheap but I have spare Bundt's and the Car also came with the original Hubcaps if I wanted to return to Steel wheels.
There was Rust, many perished rubber hoses and Vac lines and the AAV was seized along with a general lack of quality service work.
But as an Anniversary present for my Wife it was great and She still loves this car today however now it is time to do justice to her and repair what needs repairing.
As she sat a few weeks ago when I started to explore what needed doing, although much of the body and paint issues are hidden under the quite thick mess of cheap paint the solvents used with the 2K paint has made everything underneath it quite soft including the Original factory colour and red primer so it all has to come off the car.
The Dark Grey sections are to temporarily seal the fresh metal from the weather.
Letzte Änderung: 07 Nov 2018 13:33 von tony66au.

• Rudiger
  • Abwesend
  • 560 SL 107.048 1988
  • Americas (USA/CAN)
Mehr
07 Nov 2018 13:36 #196961 von Rudiger
Rudiger antwortete auf 350SLC owner from Australia G'day!
You will be busy for a couple of weeks. Front left fender there is a peace of molding missing. The rest of the moldings looks ok, judged by the picture.
Have fun,
Rudiger

• Dr-DJet
  • Dr-DJets Avatar
  • 450 SL 107.044 1973
  • Schweiz
Mehr
07 Nov 2018 13:59 - 07 Nov 2018 14:09 #196963 von Dr-DJet
Dr-DJet antwortete auf 350SLC owner from Australia G'day!
Hi Tony,

welcome to Startime-107 (Sternzeit-107). You found the right place for 107 lovers and passionates! Thanks for your nice introduction from Australia.

I was always hoping that our website would be come more popular with English speaking 107 fans when I created the English 107 SL/SLC forum 1.5 years ago. So maybe with the help of Jim, Rudiger and you we will make my dream come true. So far I have translated a few of our famous technical articles to English. The next one is going to be released in 1.5 weeks about R107, W123 and W126 mon and duo valves.

And of course a double welcome with your D-Jetronic experience by Dr-DJet! I am sure you also know my other website oldtimer.tips with my D-Jetronic compendium.

Your car looks pretty original - if I ignore those modern rims. Antenna still on front left fender, piano player steering wheel. Great!

So be our guest and make English 107 SL/SLC forum as vivid as our German forum.

And while you are overhauling and welding the car: Please move the steering wheel to the left side, some funny guy must have mounted it wrongly. :P

Have a look at 107 manual, that is the nearly complete English workshop manual.

And one last question: We are collecting data cards that are not publically available in a database. So if you have one for your 1973 SLC (or even just the one from under your seat), please submit it to
In diesem Beitrag ist für Gäste nicht alles sichtbar. Bitte melde dich an, oder registriere dich.

Viele Schraubergrüße - best regards, Dr-DJet Volker, Admin und Betreiber dieser Webseite

Alles über die D-Jetronic und Zündung in oldtimer.tips
Letzte Änderung: 07 Nov 2018 14:09 von Dr-DJet.

• Marcel
  • Marcels Avatar
  • Abwesend
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 300 SL 107.041 1986
  • Standard (Europa)
Mehr
07 Nov 2018 15:47 #196969 von Marcel
Marcel antwortete auf 350SLC owner from Australia G'day!
Hello Tony,

a great warm welcome to our 107 forum. For sure there is a lot of work to be done with your SLC. :yes:

Most of the people around here at the Sternzeit 107 are infected with the 107 virus. :help:
If there would be a leaflet to this forum, it would tell you that you have to be very carefully because its addictive.

Best regards to Down Under

Gruß Marcel
300 CE-24 Bj 7/90

• tony66au
  • Autor
  • 350 SLC 107.023 1973
  • Australien
Mehr
18 Nov 2018 05:11 #197616 von tony66au
Thanks for the Warm Welcome Dr Djet and Gentlemen, Just a few changes I have made to this old Girl.
I have a D-Jet 450SEL that has extensive front end chassis cracking due to very high mileage and I have borrowed the Bundts from Her to fit on the SLC, I have a full set of Hubcaps however and will at a later date source suitable wheels as I had issues with the Bundts on the rear not clearing the brake backing plates.
The Early 107 Steering wheel is currently removed and replaced with the Wheel from my 1977 450SE as the Horn buttons need refurbishing on the older style wheel.
I have now stripped the entire RH rear 1/4 panel and there is little in the way of Rust and the Sills seem fairly intact as is the Jack point tube and I am slowly stripping and revealing what needs repair and then resealing with Etch primer.
Yes there is Trim missing but that isnt a priority for me as I am concentrating on the Body, structure and mechanical.
I have been collecting parts as I find them mainly from US Vendors such as FCP, Autohaus and eEuroparts particularly D jet hoses, Body seals, Sunroof seals etc.
Driveline and steering components seem plentiful from the OEM suppliers and I have a D jet 350SE and 450SEL parts car for AAV's, MPS's and assorted D jet hard to find parts although Im told Bosch still does refurbishment in batches and im going to have the Manifold pressure sensor professionally refurbished at some stage.
The Car when finished will spend some time in Satin black while I ensure the Mechanical side is A1 and then she will get a good paint job but as you all know there is a lot of work involved in a period correct paint job so this will be last.

• tony66au
  • Autor
  • 350 SLC 107.023 1973
  • Australien
Mehr
18 Nov 2018 05:30 #197617 von tony66au
Hi Rudiger,

Yes there is a missing piece I didnt receive with the car, I was thinking of carefully modifying a piece of W116 Trim to suit but the profile im not sure is the same.
The car was badly disassembled for a bad paint job as well so the trim is half glued on and half correctly fitted so the whole lot comes off soon as I remove ALL the Paint, Spray filler and even the original Red primer as this has been damaged and made soft by the 2K solvent when the car was resprayed.
Many of the Mounting holes too are either rusty or damaged and I will order some more of the trim panel plugs and simply fit them in the holes for the time being.
The finer details will have to wait until last im afraid.

• tony66au
  • Autor
  • 350 SLC 107.023 1973
  • Australien
Mehr
18 Nov 2018 05:48 #197618 von tony66au
Thank you for the warm welcome Marcel :-)

I am a Mercedes W116 tragic already owning in no order a 450 SEL, 450SE, 350SE, 280S and previously a 450SEL 6.9, 280SEL and my first ever Mercedes a W126 300SEL (1991) many years ago as well as an ill fated 230TE (124) which was the Family car for a while.

The SLC was in fact a Wedding Anniversary present to my Wife as thanks and to fill a wish she had to own an SLC but I spent more time driving it than She did and of course I get to repair and restore the old girl (The 107 not Jenna).
My Wife is one of those Rare Wives who encourage my Mercedes Fetish and will make endless coffee as well as come and get her hands dirty helping when needed and if I annoy her she will cruelly message me with Mercedes and Volvo's for sale often remarking "Oh look at this, Its so cheap and not far away!" knowing I have a hard time resisting a bargain car.............

Anyway, the sun is shining here on this lovely 25 degree Sunday afternoon and I have a Data card to find!

Is it ok for me to continue this thread in the Deutsche Welcome section or would it be better in the Englisch forum?

My Deutsche is rusty as is my Niederländisch but im happy in either.

die Grüße,
Tony

Ladezeit der Seite: 0.331 Sekunden